CONTINUING TO SHATTER RECORDS
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits (9-4-2-0), proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack, ended the sixth week in the ECHL season with a 2-1-1-0 record, completing a club record win-streak with wins against Atlanta and Orlando. The Swamp Rabbits victories over the Gladiators and Solar Bears pushed Greenville to eight straight games with a win, topping the franchise record of seven in the inaugural season of 2010-2011. Forward Caleb Herbert also broke a long-standing club record, as the 6-foot skater has recorded points in 15 consecutive games to begin the season.
Allan McPherson and Joe Houk, who both turned in four-point outings, paced the Swamp Rabbits during Wednesday morning’s Middle School STEM Day 6-3 victory over the Atlanta Gladiators. McPherson has recorded three separate four-point games this season and leads the team with eight multi-point games this year. Houk’s four assists were the highest single game total of his career.
Friday night was Greenville’s time to make history with the team’s eighth straight win. Branden Troock opened the scoring in the first period with two goals to push the Swamp Rabbits to an early lead over the Orlando Solar Bears. Brandon Halverson was nearly impenetrable in the game, making 44 saves on the Solar Bears and earning the 4-1 victory.
The lone road game of the week placed Greenville in North Charleston, South Carolina on Saturday against the South Carolina Stingrays. Greenville took a 3-1 lead early in the third period as Caleb Herbert recorded points on all three goals (2G, 1A). However, the Stingrays rallied in the final ten minutes to tie the game and eventually took the game 4-3 in overtime. It was the Swamp Rabbits first loss since Oct. 27th against the Manchester Monarchs.
Sunday afternoon the Swamp Rabbits again jumped out to an early lead. At the start of the third period, Greenville held a 6-3 advantage over the Solar Bears, but Orlando’s power play proved crucial as the Solar Bears rallied for a 7-6 victory. The Solar Bears went 4-for-7 on the power play and overcome the three-goal deficit with four unanswered third period goals.
Caleb Herbert – 4 GP | 9 PTS (5G, 4A)
The Swamp Rabbits forward outperformed the rest of the field across the ECHL this week, netting five goals and adding four assists during the four-game week. The fourth-year skater also extended his personal point streak to 15 straight games, breaking the Swamp Rabbits franchise record from the 2011-12 season. Herbert netted the game-winning goal on Wednesday morning against the Atlanta Gladiators in route to a 6-3 victory. He would add another three-point outing on Saturday in North Charleston, South Carolina against his former team, the South Carolina Stingrays. The Bloomington, Minnesota native is tied with teammate Allan McPherson for the league lead with 25 points (10G, 15A) in 15 games.
- In addition to his ECHL leading point production, Caleb Herbert is tied for the league lead with a +13 rating
- Forward Branden Troock scored five goals this week, and in doing so posted a shooting percentage of nearly 30%. The winger also is third in the league with 60 shots on net.
- Rookie Dawson Leedahl earned six points (3G, 3A) this week, propelling him to fourth among all first-year skaters with 15 points (6G, 9A).
- Defenseman Joe Houk earned seven assists this week, more than any other blue-liner in the league. The fourth-year pro is tied for second among all ECHL defensemen with 14 points (4G, 10A)
- Greenville’s trip to Colorado this week covers over 1,500 miles, the longest road trip for the Swamp Rabbits in franchise history.
- Wednesday, Nov 22 | Swamp Rabbits at Eagles | 7:05 p.m. MT (9:05 p.m. ET)
- Friday, Nov 24 | Swamp Rabbits at Eagles | 7:05 p.m. MT (9:05 p.m. ET)
- Saturday, Nov 25 | Swamp Rabbits at Eagles | 7:05 p.m. MT (9:05 p.m. ET)
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
- Florida Everblades (12-2-0-1) = 25 PTS
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits (9-4-2-0) = 20 PTS
- South Carolina Stingrays (9-2-2-0) = 20 PTS
- Atlanta Gladiators (8-5-1-1) = 18 PTS
- Norfolk Admirals (4-11-1-0) = 9 PTS
- Orlando Solar Bears (3-8-2-0) = 8 PTS
- Jacksonville Icemen (2-8-1-0) = 5 PTS
Get Social: Follow the Swamp Rabbits and get behind-the-scenes coverage like never before on the team’s official Facebook and Twitter pages. Download the Swamp Rabbits app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store for up to date information right in the palm of your hand.
Contact a Swamp Rabbits Account Executive at 864-674-PUCK (7825) for information on 2017-18 season tickets and to secure your seats today! Get the latest Swamp Rabbits gear by visiting the “Hop Shop” online at SwampRabbits.com/shop to browse the full collection of fan wear and novelties!