Early Week Wins Help Maintain Position in Standings
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits (35-23-4-1), proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack, earned three wins during a five-game stretch last week, the team’s busiest segment of the season. Greenville relied on offensive surges on Tuesday and Friday night to power over the Wichita Thunder and Florida Everblades. On Tuesday night the Swamp Rabbits tallied seven goals as Michael Joly, Allan McPherson, and Ahti Oksanen recorded four-points each in the victory before a quick turnaround into a Wednesday morning game. Greenville’s 3-2 win was launched by goaltender Jeff Malcolm with a 35-save performance in net. Troy Donnay fired the game-winning tally by netting his second goal of the season with 11 minutes left in the contest. Brandon Halverson’s return to Greenville resulted in a 38-save win against division-leading Florida on Friday night. The Swamp Rabbits rattled off a four-goal third period to take the game in come from behind fashion. Joe Houk tallied the game-winning goal and added two helpers to propel Greenville. The grueling week caught up to the Swamp Rabbits on Saturday and Sunday, facing a rested Atlanta Gladiators squad on the road. The 6-1 and 8-3 decisions ended Greenville’s week with time to regroup before the team returns to action on Saturday against the South Carolina Stingrays in North Charleston.
Hot Hare – Angelo Miceli (5 GP – 10 PTS – 4G, 6A)
The Swamp Rabbits leading scorer, Angelo Miceli, earned the most points in the ECHL this week, collecting 10 tallies (4G, 6A) in five games. The second-year pro ranks ninth in the ECHL with 67 points (19G, 48A). His 48 assists are fourth among all skaters in the league. Miceli grabbed four points against Florida on Friday night, the second time this year the forward has delivered that kind of single-game production. The 5-foot-10 center has tallied 19 multi-point games this season and a league-best 25 points (10G, 15A) during the last 15 games.
– Season High Streak Halted: Brandon Alderson had his road point streak ended on Sunday, after earning points in 15 straight games away from Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The fourth-year pro recorded 22 points (12G, 10A) during the ECHL’s longest streak.
– The Best Around: During the last month of play, the Swamp Rabbits have had some of the best production in the ECHL. Four of the league’s top five scorers since February 14th reside on Greenville’s roster. Angelo Miceli, Ahti Oksanen, Brandon Alderson, and Allan McPherson have combined for 80 points (29G, 51A) in 14 games.
– Start of a Rivalry: The Swamp Rabbits and Gladiators games on Saturday and Sunday re-ignited the I-85 rivalry. A combined 134 penalty minutes were totaled in the games, including 14 fighting majors. The teams will play four more times in the final two weeks of the season.
– Mellow Week: Greenville gets some rest this week, playing only one game on Saturday in North Charleston, SC. It is the slowest stretch of the season for the Swamp Rabbits who have played a league high 63 games to this point.
Saturday, March 18 | Swamp Rabbits @ Stingrays | 7:00 p.m.
North Charleston Coliseum
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (35-23-4-1) @ South Carolina Stingrays (32-26-2-1)
The Swamp Rabbits head to North Charleston, SC to battle the South Carolina Stingrays for the 13th time this season. Greenville owns a 4-6-1-1 record against the Stingrays ahead of a one-game week. Tune in for the broadcast, beginning at 6:45 p.m. on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcasting Network or watch on ECHL.tv.
South Division Standings:
- Florida Everblades (39-15-2-3) = 83 points
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits (35-23-4-1) = 75 points
- Orlando Solar Bears (30-21-6-3) = 69 points
- Cincinnati Cyclones (32-26-4-0) = 68 points
- South Carolina Stingrays (32-26-2-1) = 67 points
- Atlanta Gladiators (23-27-6-2) = 54 points
- Norfolk Admirals (22-34-4-0) = 48 points
*Top 4 teams qualify for 2017 Kelly Cup Playoffs
Get Social: Follow the Swamp Rabbits all season long and get behind-the-scenes coverage like never before on the team’s official Facebook and Twitter pages. Download the Swamp Rabbits app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store for up to date information right in the palm of your hand.
Ticket packages and group rates for the 2016-17 season are available now! Contact a Swamp Rabbits Account Executive at 864-674-PUCK (7825) for more information and to secure your seats today! Get the latest Swamp Rabbits gear by visiting the “Hop Shop” online at SwampRabbits.com/shop to browse the full collection of fan wear and novelties!