ENDING THE TREND
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits, proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack, finished the month of January in the win column to halt a seven-game slide. After a pair of close contests with Jacksonville on Friday and Saturday night, the Swamp Rabbits opened Sunday’s afternoon matinee with three goals in less than 13 minutes. Forward Shawn Bates connected on a pair of power play goals while Sean Flanagan launched his first career goal in style. Caleb Herbert notched his 19th goal of the season later in the game for his team leading 44th point of the campaign. Zoltan Hetenyi made 26 saves in the victory.
Brenden Kotyk – 3 GP | 2 PTS (1G, 1A), +2, 6 Shots
The rookie blue liner tallied his sixth goal of the season this weekend and added an assist against the Jacksonville Icemen. Kotyk missed his first three games of the season last week but tallied a power play goal in his return to action on Friday night. The 6-foot-5 defenseman from Regina, Saskatchewan earned a +2 rating as well, supporting the Swamp Rabbits efforts on defense. Kotyk is third among all rookie defensemen with six goals this season.
- Defenseman Sergey Zborovskiy returned to the Swamp Rabbits from his first AHL call-up with Hartford on Sunday night.
- Forward Shawn Bates was released this morning from his standard player contract. In addition, defenseman Ales Sova has left the team to pursue opportunities overseas and subsequently been placed on team suspension.
- Goaltender Zoltan Hetenyi earned his first win with the Swamp Rabbits and his first ECHL win in almost five years.
- The Swamp Rabbits will play 16 more games on the road and have already achieved a 10-9-1-0 record away from the Bon Secours Wellness Arena this season.
- Sean Flanagan’s first career goal on Sunday in Jacksonville proved to be the game-winning goal in the contest.
- Friday, Feb. 2 | Swamp Rabbits @ Everblades | 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 3 | Swamp Rabbits @ Everblades | 7:00 p.m.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
- Florida Everblades (30-9-1-3) = 64 PTS
- South Carolina Stingrays (27-10-4-1) = 59 PTS
- Atlanta Gladiators (22-22-1-2) = 47 PTS
- Orlando Solar Bears (19-19-5-1) = 44 PTS
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits (19-22-3-1) = 42 PTS
- Norfolk Admirals (16-21-5-1) = 38 PTS
- Jacksonville Icemen (15-24-3-2) = 35 PTS
Get Social: Follow the Swamp Rabbits and get behind-the-scenes coverage like never before on the team’s official Facebook and Twitter pages. Download the Swamp Rabbits app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store for up to date information right in the palm of your hand.
Contact a Swamp Rabbits Account Executive at 864-674-PUCK (7825) for information on 2017-18 ticket plans, special group rates and hospitality opportunities and to secure your seats today! Get the latest Swamp Rabbits gear by visiting the “Hop Shop” online at SwampRabbits.com/shop to browse the full collection of fan wear and novelties!